Whether you need to keep the dog noise inside the crate or keep the dog-frightening noises–like thunder, fireworks, and other loud, unexpected noises–out of the crate, a soundproof space is a good investment to provide some quiet peace for both of you. Soundproof dog crates have improved quite a bit from the days of just throwing a blanket over it and hoping for the best.
Although total soundproofing is virtually impossible, here are 10 of the best quiet dog crate options.
|Top 6 Best Soundproof Dog Crates||Why It's Best||Rating|
|101mart Premium Soft-Sided Foldable Dog Crate||Polyester/PVC fabric. Roll down window covers. 3 sizes available. Water resistant. Easy to clean.||★★★★★|
|Petsfit Sturdy Soft Portable Pet Crate||Quiet, heavy cloth crate. Fold down frame. Waterproof. Easy to clean. Carry handles when set up or folded down.||★★★★★|
|Precision Pet Soft Side Pet Crate||Heavy, quiet canvas material. Available in 4 sizes. Easy clean plastic floor. Convenient carrying case.||★★★★★|
|Petnation Port-A-Crate Indoor Outdoor Home||Quiet heavy material with strong steel frame. Available in 6 sizes. Machine washable cover. Not-toxic material.||★★★★★|
|MidWest Privacy Dog Crate Cover||Heavy fabric cover only. (Crate separate). Available in multiple sizes. Teflon coated, machine washable breathable fabric.||★★★★★|
|Petsfit Soft Portable Dog Crate--Indoor/Outdoor||Heavy polyester fabric. 3 sizes available. Waterproof floor. Soft mattress included.||★★★★★|
Soundproof Dog Crates – The Basics
Like dogs, soundproof dog crates come in multiple sizes and have different uses. And of course, the needs of your companion will differ from others–not to mention your expectations. There are a few things you will have to consider when investing in a soundproof dog crate.
- Size. Of your dog. Of your home or yard. Dog size is important before you start looking for a dog crate. Most crate manufacturers recommend measuring from floor to top of head and adding 1 – 2 inches. And measuring from tip of nose to base of tail and adding 4 – 6 inches.
- Weight. You also need to know your dog’s weight, or potential weight before shopping for a dog crate. A Rottweiler with the same height and length dimensions as a Greyhound will weigh considerably more.
- Location. Where is the crate going to be situated?
- Pet Bed. Anti vibration and quiet.
- Portability. Is the crate going to be in one spot? Or do you plan to move it around–outside, inside, travelling?
- Acceptable Stress Level. Of the dog. Of the dog owner.
10 Best Soundproof Dog Crates of 2023
Because a perfectly soundproof dog crate is almost an impossibility, I think that the pet’s comfort, and peace, and state of mind are all part of creating a space where it will feel safe. Accomplishing that within a quiet dog crate seems like a worthwhile goal–for both the dog and you.
1) 101Mart Premium Soft Sided Dog Crate
The 101Mart Premium Soft Sided Dog Crate is made of heavy duty water resistant polyester fabric with PVC backing for easy cleaning. Sets up in seconds and folds down into the included carrying case quickly. Easy clean surfaces–inside and outside c/w a removable, washable fleece mat. Comes in 3 sizes–small, medium, and large. Heavy duty zippered mesh door and 3 mesh windows. Comes c/w 4 ground stakes to provide stability when using outdoors.
As far as soundproofing goes, all 3 mesh windows have roll down polyester/PVC covers providing more peace and quiet both inside and outside the crate. The covers can be rolled up and secured with the Velcro tabs or rolled down and also secured with Velcro.
- Polyester/PVC fabric crate.
- Roll down window covers add to soundproofing ability.
- 3 sizes – small, medium, large.
- Water resistant. Easy to clean.
- Washable fleece mat.
- External storage pocket.
- 4 ground stakes for outdoor use.
The Not so Good
- Zipper does not lock. Some mention of determined cats getting it open.
2) Petsfit Sturdy Wire Frame Soft Pet Crate
The Petsfit Sturdy Wire Frame Soft Pet Crate offers some of the best options for a soundproof crate. It has a mesh door and 3 mesh windows for ventilation. The windows come with roll down fabric covers that provide soundproofing, sun shade, and darkness for sleeping. (Not that I have ever met a dog that needs dark to sleep.) Heavy durable cloth sides and top cover a rigid fold down frame. Waterproof and easy to clean, it also includes a washable fleece mat.
Comes with carry handle for easy moving when set up, and also carry handles when folded down. Non-slip bottom pads and storage pockets complete a versatile dog crate. Available in 2 sizes–medium for dogs up to 25 lbs. and large for dogs up to 45 lbs.
- Quiet heavy cloth crate.
- Rigid fold down frame
- Waterproof, easy to clean
- Washable fleece mat.
- Carry handles – when set up and when folded down.
- External storage pockets.
The Not so Good
- Only available in 2 sizes – maximum dog size 45 lbs.
3) Precision Pet Soft Side Pet Crate
The Precision Pet Soft Side Pet Crate is available in 4 sizes–up to dogs weighing 70 lbs. The sides and top are made of water resistant canvas with 4 reinforced doors equipped with heavy duty zippers. One side door is fabric. Top, front and one side door are all mesh which keep this dog crate from being as quiet as it could be. Exterior storage pockets help keep supplies close at hand. The hygienic plastic floor will not absorb moisture or odors.
This indoor/outdoor dog crate comes with 4 ground stakes (to keep it from blowing away–with or without your pet inside) and a convenient carrying case equipped with both handles and a shoulder strap.
Pet beds such as Midwest Homes Plush Dog Bed are sold separately and available in multiple crate sizes.
- Heavy canvas material provides good soundproofing.
- Available in 4 sizes.
- Easy and quick set up and take down.
- Hygienic, easy clean plastic floor.
- Convenient carrying case.
- Side and rear storage pockets.
The Not so Good
- Not as quiet as it could be because of 3 mesh doors/windows.
- Not quite big enough for truly large dogs.
4) Petnation 612 Port-A-Crate Indoor and Outdoor Dog Crate
The Petnation 612 Port-A-Crate Indoor and Outdoor Dog Crate is available in 6 different sizes from 10 lbs. to 70 lbs. Constructed of heavy duty tight weave mesh fabric over an extra strong steel frame, it is lightweight, portable, and sets up and folds down in seconds without any tools. Easy to carry when folded up. Light weight and portable, it is great for transporting your pet or working dog.
Heavy mesh windows and door provide good airflow. Comes with 2 doors–front and top–to allow easy access. Both industrial strength door zippers have locks to prevent an escape. The tight weave material is water resistant making it easy to wipe clean in case of accidents. The material can also be easily stripped from the frame and put in the washing machine if required. All parts of the Petnation Port-A-Crate are made of light weight, non-toxic materials with no small, or sharp pieces.
Note: Most everyone has a personal choice for pet beds inside the crate, but Petnation recommends Nature’s Miracle Orthopedic Pet Beds, although there are many other options like Furhaven Orthopedic Gel and Memory Foam.
- Heavy material provides good soundproofing.
- Available in 6 sizes.
- Strong steel frame.
- Easy and quick set up and take down.
- Cover machine washable.
The Not so Good
- The mesh will not stand up to an aggressive scratcher–like almost all mesh.
- Not as quiet as it could be because of multiple mesh openings.
5) Midwest Dog Crate Cover
The Midwest Dog Crate Cover is just what it says. If you already have a metal dog crate (or are planning on getting one) and are sick of throwing a moving blanket over it, this is a soundproofing option you should consider. It is available in 4 sizes and is designed to fit most standard crates. Made of a cotton/polyester blend, it is Teflon coated for easy cleanup and blocks stains and dirt while repelling oils and liquids. Compatible with 1, 2, or 3 door crates meaning you can open it where required. (No top opening.)
Machine washable and dryer friendly (which I take to mean that you cannot throw it into the dryer on high heat for a couple of hours), it comes with a 1 year warranty. It is held onto the crate with Velcro tabs. The fabric is breathable, giving you and your pet the option of closing up the entire cover for better soundproofing, privacy, security, comfort, and peace for all.
Note: This product is the cover only. If you are looking for a metal crate and/or a dog bed, you might want to consider an iCrate Pet Enclosure and/or a Quiet Time Pet Bed.
- Heavy fabric cover provides good soundproofing
- Multiple sizes available.
- Teflon coated for easy cleaning.
- Machine washable.
- Breathable fabric.
- No mesh windows. Can completely close crate.
- 1 year manufacturers warranty.
The Not so Good
- Could use a system to hold the flaps up.
- P65 Warning Cancer and Reproductive harm.
- Indoor only.
6) Petsfit Soft Portable Dog Crate
The Petsfit Soft Portable Dog Crate is sneaky large round top design. Available in small, medium, and large sizes, it has a front door, side door, and a mesh window on the other side with a roll down cover. When closed up it will provide good soundproofing. Made of heavy polyester fabric, it also has a waterproof floor and a soft cozy mattress. The company has recently upgraded the hexagonal grid structure and switched out the plastic zippers to lockable, stronger metal zippers–making an already good product that much better.
Easy to assemble without additional tools, and folds back into the original carrying case for easy transportation. 1 year warranty and professional after sales service.
- Heavy polyester fabric provides good soundproofing.
- Available in small, medium, and large sizes.
- Waterproof floor.
- Comes with its own soft mattress.
- Improved grid structure and lockable zippers.
- 1 year warranty c/w after sales service.
The Not so Good
- One report of a strong chemical smell.
7) Siivton Airline Approved Expandable Pet Carrier
The Siivton Airline Approved Expandable Pet Carrier is a very quiet carrier/crate for small dogs and puppies. (Also works well for cats–if you must have one.) Expands in 4 directions–front, back, and both sides. Mesh covering on all 4 sides and top when open and c/w cloth zipper covering on all but top. (Top mesh remains uncovered to provide light and air. Manufactured from 3 layers of material–EVA foam sandwiched between exterior Oxford cloth, and interior polyester lining. Non slip feet and padded carrying handle.
Stiff polyester/suede base pad is removable, washable, and will support up to 20 lbs. Airline approved and also perfect for travel in vehicles or as a carry case–by handle or with included shoulder strap.
- Quiet carrier/crate made of 3 layers of material.
- Airline approved.
- Expandable on all 4 sides.
- Mesh top door.
- Long lasting heavy duty zippers and steel snaps.
- Will not collapse with strong frame and stiff, removable base.
- Side pocket external storage.
The Not so Good
- Only good for dogs up to 20 lbs.
8) Midwest iCrate Dog Crate Starter Kit
The Midwest iCrate Dog Crate Starter Kit is an excellent product to help crate train your pet. Machine washable fleece bed and polyester sound absorbing cover combine to provide a quiet, safe space for the dog. (If she/he/it feels safe and comfortable inside from the start, it will improve the chances that noise will be less of a problem later.) Available in 6 sizes from XS to XL (up to 110 lbs.) and 3 colors (including pink), this starter kit comes c/w heavy wire cage, double doors, divider panel, and leak-proof removable dog tray that is easy to clean. It also comes with 2 one quart food and water bowls that hook onto the crate sides.
Rubber feet to prevent scratched floors and a removable handle that makes moving easy are also part of the package. Sets up in seconds with no tools and folds flat for storage or easy moving.
- Quiet Time polyester cover and Quiet Time fleece bed provide sound absorption and safe comfort.
- Multiple sizes up to 110 lbs.
- Multiple colors–including pink.
- Complete dog crate – nothing else to buy.
- Rubber feet to protect floors.
- Easy, tool free set up.
- 1 year manufacturers warranty on all products.
The Not so Good
- Virtually none.
9) Build-It-Yourself Soundproof Dog Crate
Before discounting this option as the ravings of a loon, consider the possibilities. Built once and done. Outside, it can be part of a shed, or standalone structure. Inside, if you have the talent, build it as an end table, night table, or even a plant stand. You may also be able to buy a pre-made cabinet that is the correct size–then add soundproofing material such as another layer of Melamine MDF with Green Glue sandwiched between layers. Exterior pine corners and a couple of coats of paint can make it quite attractive.
Buy a stand with a door (not drawers) that you can modify by cutting out the center, screening the new hole, and adding a roll-up cover made of heavy soundproofing material like a moving blanket with Velcro fasteners. Make sure you set it on anti vibration pads like BXI Anti Vibration Isolation Pads to spare your pet that crack of doom, house-shaking thunder as the storm passes over.
Building a dog house for an outside dog can be a little easier–because you have more room, and cute may not be quite as important.
The last one I built was for our quarter wolf/husky/shepherd (120 lbs. and did not have to stretch to get his chin on the table). Thor was an outside dog and because we live where it gets to 30 below zero every winter, I put more effort into warm than soundproofing. But other than using Roxul 80 soundproofing rockwool in place of fiberglass batts, I would not change much.
- Floor: 3/4″ pressure treated plywood bottom, 2 x 6 pressure treated joists on edge, R-20 fiberglass batts, 6 mil poly vapor barrier, 3/4″ Good One Side plywood for interior floor.
- Walls: 2 x 4 studs, 3/8″ plywood or OSB sheathing, R-12 fiberglass batts, 6 mil poly vapor barrier, 3/4″ Good One Side plywood interior.
- Ceiling/Roof: 3/4″ Good One Side plywood nailed on top of walls for ceiling, 6 mil poly vapor barrier, R-20 fiberglass batt insulation, 4/12 pitch rafters covered with 1/2″ plywood or OSB. (Yes the roof can be flat, but it snows a bunch here also.)
- Finish: Vinyl siding and fiberglass shingles. (Steel roofing and siding is a little noisier.)
I offset the door to one corner and made it as small as possible and hung a heavy blanket over it. A quarter bale of barley straw for bedding and life was good. When it hit 40 below zero or colder, we brought him inside.
Note: It is difficult to work inside an existing dog crate, but if you are building one from scratch and want to provide serious peace and quiet for your pet, you can find some useful soundproofing information in our article How to Build a Soundproof Room-Within-a-Room.
- Customizable. Any size you and the pet decide is appropriate.
- As soundproof and warm as you want to build it.
- Safe and quiet.
- Very versatile – dependent on builder’s abilities.
- Lifetime warranty – dependent on builder and maintenance.
The Not so Good
- Heavy. Not easily moved.
- Likely more expensive.
- Definitely more time consuming.
10) ZenCrate Smart, Anti-anxiety Dog Crate
The ZenCrate may be the best answer for separation anxiety, loud noises, and storm phobia suffered by your pet. Even if you are not home the Smart crate will take good care of your dog. Built with sound dampening products, anti-vibration feet to provide isolation, and equipped with battery back up in case of a power outage, the ZenCrate provides computer controlled motion activated music with an anti-anxiety playlist. (Starts automatically when your dog enters the crate.) Comes with an automatic fan that improves ventilation and provides white noise to add to quiet and security. Free phone app available on iTunes and Google Play Store allows you to monitor the ZenCrate and its occupant from anywhere.
ZenCrate will handle dogs up to 90 lbs. and is made in the USA. Other options available include a door insert, WiFi enabled camera option allows you to view your pet on your Smart phone, and a waterproof memory foam dog bed option. Assembles in 5 minutes with no tools required.
- Comfortable quiet dog crate c/w sound dampening material and anti-vibration feet.
- Battery back up.
- Motion activated anti-anxiety music system.
- Automatic fan for ventilation and to provide white noise.
- Phone app allows monitoring from anywhere.
- Many available options including door, camera, waterproof dog bed.
The Not so Good
- Fairly pricey.
How We Chose Our Soundproof Dog Crates
When compiling our list, these are the things we looked at when making choices.
- Size Options. If a manufacturer makes different sized crates, you can choose the one that fits your pet’s needs.
- Weight. Of the crate. If you want to, or need to, move it around.
- Location. If the crate is going to be inside, style and color might become important factors.
- Portability. Does your dog travel with you? Will the crate fit in your vehicle? Is it easy to move around?
- Stress Level. A quiet comfortable crate will not only reduce your dog’s stress level; it will also reduce your stress level.
- Cost. I tried to balance quality with cost.
Note: most dog crates do not come with much of a warranty, so I did not give it any weight when choosing the items on the list.
Soundproof Dog Crate – Best of the Best
Although I have listed many good options that can be used in many situations, I chose the 101Mart Premium Soft Sided Dog Crate because of its versatility, comfort, and quiet. It provides:
- Strong heavy water resistant polyester/PVC fabric.
- Roll down window coverings to increase soundproofing.
- Small/medium/large sizes.
- Washable soft bed included.
And the minor zipper concern does not appear insurmountable.
Soundproof Dog Crate – Honorable Mentions
I am including 2 honorable mentions for your consideration–both dependent on your circumstances.
- Midwest iCrate Dog Crate Starter Kit. This is kind of for the new dog owner who is not quite certain what she/he needs, and has very little idea about how the new pet will turn out. (I have seen dogs that will barely open an eye during a thunderstorm, and some that will try to crawl into your pocket.) This is an easy way to get started without putting out a lot of money.
- The Build-It-Yourself Dog Crate. Because I can be a little bit anal, and I enjoy building things.
FAQs About Soundproof Dog Crates
Here are a few questions asked regularly about soundproofing dog crates.
How can I soundproof my dog’s crate for thunderstorms?
Although it is almost impossible to totally soundproof a dog crate–specially from thunder–you can provide a quieter space with some of the sound dampening crates listed above. Even covering it with a heavy soundproof moving blanket is helpful. And setting it on an anti-vibration mat or pads to decrease, or eliminate that sensation.
Can I use acoustic foam panels to soundproof a dog crate?
Yes you can. And no, you shouldn’t–unless you are absolutely certain that your dog will not chew them up, swallow them, and then puke bits of foam along with supper on your rug. Not my idea of a good time.
Is there a crate for a dog with separation anxiety?
A strong steel crate, that will keep determined chewers from tearing it apart, is the your best option. Although many soundproof fabrics are strong and somewhat rip-proof, most of them will not withstand prolonged chewing and tearing.
As the saying goes “Dogs are some of my favorite people.” So keeping them happy and comfortable in exchange for the service and joy they provide should be an important consideration. A quiet, safe, secure, and peaceful home/crate will make both of you happier.